This recipe is adapted from Lena Goldstein’s original recipe in Monday Morning Cooking Club’s first publication, ‘Monday Morning Cooking Club.’ Photo credit Alan Benson Photography.
- 2 Kangaroo Island Egg Yolks, available in store
- 250 g Lescure Unsalted Butter, at room temperature, chopped
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Nielsen Massey Vanilla Bean Paste Madagascar Bourbon
- 150 g Sour Cream
- 480 g Plain Flour
Filling, per roll
- ½ tbsp Simon Johnson Wild Cherry Jam, heaped
- 2 tbsp Valrhona Guanaja 70% Chocolate, chopped
- 1 small Handful of Sultanas
- 1 Kangaroo Island Egg Yolk, beaten, for glazing
- Start this recipe the day before. To make the pastry, mix all the ingredients together with your hands (or quickly in the food processor) to make a soft but slightly sticky dough. Divide in two, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease or line a large baking tray. Cut each piece of dough into four equal pieces (each piece will make one roll). Working with one piece at a time, knead the dough on a board sprinkled with a little flour. Roll out thinly until you have a rough rectangle measuring about 30 x 15 cm. The pastry should be a little translucent.
- Spread the jam over the pastry, to the edges, and sprinkle with the chocolate and sultanas. Roll up from the long side to form a log and then place seam side down on the prepared tray. Brush with the egg yolk and prick a few times with a fork to let the air escape and prevent cracking. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden.
- When cool, use a sharp serrated knife to cut each piece on the diagonal into ten slices. Makes 8 rolls, or up to 80 pieces.