- 125 g Le Conquerant unsalted butter
- 70 g Valrhona Guanaja 70%
- 70 g Valrhona Caraibe 66%
- 400 g almond meal
- pinch Tasman Sea Salt
- 2 tbsp VALRHONA cocoa powder, plus extra to garnish
- 4 Kangaroo Island Eggs, yolks & whites separated
- 1 cup caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C & line a 20cm round tin with baking paper.
- Break chocolate into pieces and place in a heat proof bowl with butter. Melt chocolate & butter over a Bain Marie (pot of gently simmering water) until just liquid.
- Remove bowl from the heat and allow mixture to cool to room temperature. Gently whisk in eggs yolks, mixture should thicken and take on a glossy appearance, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine almond meal, cocoa powder & a pinch of sea salt. Stir briefly to combine ingredients and set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk eggs whites until they thicken and gradually add the caster sugar. Continue whisking until soft ribbons form in the meringue.
- Combine chocolate mixture & meringue into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients. Gently fold the batter using sweeping movements, until all the mixture is combined.
- Spoon batter into the lined baking tin and bake for 45mins, until a glossy crust appears on the top and the cake is cooked through with a slight jiggle in the centre.
- Allow cake to rest in the oven 15mins, before removing from the heat and continue to rest at room temperature until cool.
- Gently sift 1 tbsp of cocoa powder over the top, before serving. Store reminder of cake in the fridge if you prefer a fudgey texture, you'll be delighted!